Welcome to GeoFact of the Day, where you can find fantastic facts about places, countries, cultures, languages, and other wonders of our world. I hope you enjoy!

New Map(s): NauruBangladeshOman

New Update(s): BeninBurundiCameroonCentral African Republic

Facebook page: facebook.com/geographyfact

Search for Posts, Maps, and Topics

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Great Blue Heron in Indiana


Indiana counties where the Great Blue Heron is endangered

Data used to make this map came from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. Visit this IDNR webpage to see lists of all endangered species in by county in Indiana. Click map to enlarge it in a lightbox window.

Globally, Great Blue Heron populations are widespread and abundant. However, the bird species is endangered in almost all Indiana counties. One reason that the bird is endangered in Indiana is that their preferred wetland habitat has been widely reduced, especially since the early 1900s when large areas of wetlands were converted for development and agriculture. There are efforts by state governments, the national government, nonprofit and non-governmental organizations, and environment groups to protect Great Blue Heron populations in the United States and Indiana. For example, the National Park Service manages the Great Blue Heron Rookery in Porter County (Northwest Indiana) in order to protect nesting grounds.


  • There are only 23 Indiana counties where the Great Blue Heron is not on the endangered list. There may be enough birds that the counties do not need to be on the list, or the birds do not live in those counties. These counties are Benton, Blackford, Clark, Clay, Daviess, Dearborn, Dubois, Fayette, Floyd, Hamilton, Harrison, Knox, Morgan, Ohio, Orange, Perry, Scott, Shelby, Switzerland, Tipton, Union, Vanderburgh, and Vermillion.

  • 8 comments:

    Naomi said...

    I live in northern Indiana.Yesterday a blue heron flew to the ground only 3 feet away , looked casually around and gracefully flew away..I was quite surprised since I also had my sisters dog with me.we live in a farming community. .Isn't this odd behavior? Just curious..I also , ( a few years ago ) Had a white owl fly to me in the winter in a small town in northern Indiana. .Isn't this odd? I consider that Im blessed

    Wonderful World (GeoWhiz) said...

    Hi Naomi, I believe that blue herons are relatively relaxed with people nearby compared to songbirds, but I'm thinking it's rare to get that close! I wonder if this bird detected your sister's dog on his/her "dog alert" radar! In all seriousness, this heron must've thought the area was safe (nothing moving), but then realized there were other presences nearby. That and your owl encounter is wonderful ... I'm thinking you are the "bird whisperer"! :) #BirdBlessed

    You don't have to respond, but I'm curious: what county do you live in? I love knowing where people are from, since I'm a geographic nerd!

    Thank you so much for your comment, Naomi! Sincerely, Zach

    MelanieRose said...

    Hi. I saw a Great Blue Heron in Howard County yesterday. At least I think it was. How can I post a picture here?

    Anyway, it seemed lost or injured. I'm going to see if it's still in my neighbor's field when I wake up.

    Wonderful World (GeoWhiz) said...

    Hi Melanie! Unfortunately the comments section of my blogs do not allow photo attachments. However, if you don't mind, feel free to send me your photograph via email: wonderfulworldblogs@gmail.com

    Note the 's' at the end of 'blog' in my email address. Someone else has a similar email without the s, so I just want to make sure you send it to the right one.

    I'm not the best at identification, but let's see if I can ID it right away. If you can confirm that the bird is injured, I would contact the DNR — and/or a local bird rescue organization, if you know of one — for further instructions on how to save a member of this great species.

    Thanks for your comment! Sincerely, Zach (Wonderful World)

    Joie066@aol.com said...

    I live at heron lake in indianapolis-marion county, we have enjoyed great and blue herons nesting in large trees around the lake since before 1967. There are also green herons, koots, geese, pipers, hawk, king fisher and occasional loons, osprey, gulls among others that seasonally pass through. Unfortunately a builder has purchased land along 2 sides of the lake and is removing and squeezing out large nesting tress which are homes to our herons. Who do we contact and how do we stop the distruction of this area? The builder has already destroyed a 4 acre area where several turtles have been nesting and hatching yearly.

    Wonderful World (GeoWhiz) said...

    Hi Joie,

    It's nice that you can enjoy the birds in your area for the time being. It is ironic, though, that they are trying to take out the very things that the lake is named after! I'm not sure whether or not the Indiana DNR will step in to help, but a non-profit group such as The Nature Conservancy at nature.org and World Wildlife Fund at worldwildlife.org could find an opportunity to save the herons.

    There's even an American Bird Conservancy at abcbirds.org. Based in Northeast Indiana is Blue Heron Ministries, another non-profit land conservation organization; blueheronministries.org. Finally, there might be an Indianapolis-based bird-protecting organization in your area more likely to help as quickly as possible! Although groups like these mostly purchase relatively rural land to protect various plants and animals, maybe they can add some urban land parcels to their many conservation properties. Thanks for commenting!

    Andrew Thompson said...

    We had the pleasure of a great blue heron visiting our backyard pond recently. Such a beautiful species. We live in Madison County Indiana.

    Wonderful World (GeoWhiz) said...

    Hi Andrew,

    It's wonderful to hear about the great blue heron coming to greet you, thank you so much for your comment!

    Sincerely,
    Zach

    Blog Content

    ● Content and graphics are created by me (pseudonym: Wonderful World), except when I credit other sources.

    ● I do not copy and paste from other websites. Therefore, all posts are original but may sometimes include information, links, and/or images from credited external sources. To use a GeoFact of the Day Blog image for your website or project, write a comment below a post — then I may approve your request.

    ● Feel free to offer comments, suggestions, and compliments on any post or page! You can be anonymous. Spam comments with non-relevant links will be deleted.

    ● Thanks for your loyal readership on the educational and reliable GeoFact of the Day Blog, in existence since 2008!

    Thanks for Visiting from Anywhere in the World!

    Countries and territories visiting GeoFact of the Day; thanks for stopping by today!

    Over 470,000 views as of October 2023 — thank you!